Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe serves 12;
I sometimes just make half a recipe
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices good white bread, cut or crumbled into small pieces
- 5½ cups milk
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6½ cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
Preheat oven to 375°. Butter a 3-quart casserole. Set aside.
- Breadcrumbs for Topping - Melt 2 T butter and pour over the bread crumbs you crumbled and set aside.
- Warm milk in a saucepan. Melt remaining butter in another pan over medium heat, add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the warm milk a little at a time, until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly until it bubbles, 6-12-minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the salt, nutmeg, pepper, 3 cups of the cheese and set the sauce aside.
- Cook the macaroni a little less time than the package says as it will cook more in the casserole. Drain and stir into the cheese sauce.
- Pour mixture into the casserole and sprinkle with remaining cheddar and Parmesan. Top with prepared breadcrumbs and bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
- Leftovers can be frozen for a short while.
For more flavor sauté in the butter ½ cup or so of chopped onion until tender and then add the flour.