- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 1/3 cup ice cold water
Cut the shortening into the flour with a pastry blender until about the size of breadcrumbs.
Add the cold water, mix lightly, and gather into a ball.
Divide the dough in half.
Cover to keep it from drying out.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ crushed walnuts
- 1 cup currants (or raisins)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix the sugar, butter, and eggs.
- Add walnuts and currants (preferred) or raisins. The batter should be slightly “runny”.
- Roll out the piecrust.
- Cut a round disc with an approximate 3” diameter cookie cutter (I use a donut cutter with the center removed).
- Press this 3” disc into each individual 2-inch muffin pan.
- Fill with mixture.
- Optional top crust can be placed on each individual pie. In this case I use the removed center donut cutter.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes till nicely brown.
Makes 24 tarts.